The good news is that I have finished with almost all the interior sanding. Most interior sanding has me working on a concave area so the sanding is somewhat confined. From here on I will be sanding on the outside and on mostly convex surfaces where I will be able to get away with more power sanding and less hand sanding. As soon as I finish this step everything will be covered in cardboard and newspaper to avoid drips and dings while working on the rest of the boat. It will be a while before I see my handiwork again. I will take a lot of pictures.
Breaking down the progress I have made in the last few weeks goes like this, take out all the floorboards, sand and finish them, finish sanding the hull, paint & finish it's surface, and reinstall the finished floor. Along the way, I builtin speaker boxes that I designed and installed in the front locker between bulkhead 1 and 2. Also spent some time figuring out the electronics, and did a little more work on the tiller that I laminated before the kit arrived...seems like a long time ago.
Painting (along with electronics) has always been my weak point. On the kayaks I would prep the surface and have an auto body friend spray for me. I decided to have a go at it myself this time. Those pros can make it look so easy...it is not. It went ok but I found myself recovering from my ineptness with a spray gun with more sanding. After the second coat I sanded the finish with 320 until I had a nice dull level surface. Just for an experiment I sanded an area with 800 grit and then hit it with my power polisher. The result was a really nice glossy finish. I figured it was not going to get any better so I finished off the rest of the hull.
I strive for perfection but there is always a point when you have to say "good enough"or the project will never get finished. I know where the mistakes are but I have learned over the years to just not point them out and it is very rare that they are ever discovered. It is not perfect but it is done!
|Bilge primed sanded and ready for a top coat of paint.|
|Locker near the bow with fabricated speaker boxes in the corners and mounts for the battery down below. The hole in the center is an inspection port.|
|Locker after a coat of paint.|
|Bilge after first coat.|
|After some polish.|
Floor finished and reinstalled.
|Another view of the sole without the lift out sections installed. The lift outs will conceal the lead ballast.|
|Overview of the project.|