Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Clamp on...Clamp off!

At 99 cents a piece for clamps, it is nice to know there are a few bargains left in the world.  I exchanged a picture of Mr. Jackson make me a proud owner of 20 more.

Clamp collection at work.

Getting ready for my lead pour tomorrow I broke down today and bought four bags of lead shot.  Turns out lead shot is a great tool for clamping pressure.  The bags of shot are underneath the cinder blocks that I will also use for the lead pour.  I figured I would do the center board glue up now because it needs lead too along with the keel.

Keel ready for the lead pour.

Unfortunately the lead pour may have to be put on hold for how knows how long...jury duty again!  Second time in 4 months.  I'd rather be smelting lead wearing a respirator, long pants, long sleeves, boots, and eye protection and all in 97 degree heat, but that is just me.  but my civic duty calls...again.

**A note to builders who may have stumbled across this blog, when glueing the centerboard I found a flat workbench is really valuable.  I used a piece of 1 1/2 pine cut into short sections to raise the centerboard off the bench to give the clamps clearance.  I carefully jointed the pine strips so that their dimensions where exactly the same (length and width wise) so not to cause any twist of warpage of the centerboard during the glue up.  The glue is curing as I type so if it didn't work you won't be reading this because it will be edited.

No comments:

Post a Comment